Covid-19: June 27th Update
2020 has revealed many things about who we are as God's people. It has revealed His faithfulness and love in new ways. It has reminded us that new ways of worshiping can still bring us together as a church family, even in our living rooms. It has taught us the value of holding our plans loosely and trusting that He will guide us as a church into our future.
As a church leadership team, much discussion and prayer has gone into how do we resume meeting with one another. We have wrestled with recommendations put forth by both the state and federal governments as well as our Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. It is our fervent desire to provide opportunities for us to begin meeting in-person again, but, in doing so, continue to protect each other, especially those most vulnerable among us.
With these things in mind, please read the following document (available for download here) which outlines our immediate plans moving forward. Please remember that as we navigate the future, these plans may change. We will do our best to keep you informed as they do!
Your Staff Team
As Concord prepares to return to activities inside our building, our concerns are for both the health of those who walk through our doors and for providing experiences that are encouraging and uplifting, filled with the joy of the Lord. With these thoughts in mind, we provide the following guidelines to be followed while in the green phase of re-opening.
- We strongly encourage those within high-risk categories based on age and health conditions to consider attending from home, either online or by recorded media (CD and DVD)
- As much as is feasible, we will follow guidelines suggested by the State of Pennsylvania (with additional recommendations from the Western Pennsylvania Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.) This includes the following:
- Physical distancing of at least 6 feet is strongly suggested. To this end, please avoid congregating in hallways and other tight spaces.
- Weather permitting, doors will be propped open to minimize contact with surfaces and maximize ventilation. Door handles and high-traffic areas will be sanitized on a regular basis.
- Masks are strongly encouraged when inside the building.
- Hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial wipes/sprays will be available at various locations around the church building.
- Restrooms will be supplied with a disinfectant spray to clean following use. Bethany Hall restrooms will be limited to no more than 2 persons at a time to help ensure social distancing. Attendants will be used to monitor restrooms during high occupancy events.
At this time, our plan is to continue to meet outdoors at the amphitheater on Sunday mornings for worship. Please follow the instructions of attendants and ushers in order to provide safe and orderly movement of people and vehicles.
- Chairs will be available if you choose not to bring one.
- A drop-off and pick-up lane will be available for those with inhibited mobility.
- It can be hot, please dress appropriately. Beginning on June 28th, there will be shade canopies available for those who need it.
- Restrooms will be available but limited to two occupants.
- You may choose to remain in your car. Spaces will be reserved in the vicinity of the stage and the service will be broadcast via FM radio in addition to the speakers.
- Masks may be worn at your discretion. If you need one, see an usher or staff member.
- There will be no nursery service available. Parents need to plan for their children to remain with them throughout the worship service. Children will also remain in their seats during any children's ministry moments. The playground is available to use before and after worship.
- There will be no coffee service available and water fountains will be turned off.
- Offerings will be received using non-contact methods and ushers will be wearing gloves and masks
- To provide for attendance records as well as possible contact tracing should the need arise, we will be taking photos of any group meetings including worship gatherings.
In the event of inclement weather, we will move inside and meet in both Bethany Hall and in the Sanctuary. In our indoor spaces, we ask individuals and families practice social distancing as best they can. Be kind and respectful of others’ decisions with regard to their health and safety. During congregational singing inside, masks will be mandatory. At all other times wearing of masks are strongly encouraged. Worship areas will not be used for 24 hours following the service to allow for thorough cleaning and sanitizing.
SMALL GROUP MEETINGS
Due to inherent difficulties with social distancing and use of common surfaces, there will be no children’s Sunday School at this time. Classes will resume in the future. Adult classes may meet at their discretion provided the space they are using allows for social distancing and there has been an opportunity to clean and disinfect the space from prior use. Someone from each committee or class must make arrangements in advance with the church office before using any room in the building. Because of the need to allow time for cleaning, you may not be guaranteed your usual meeting space.
CONCORD COMMUNITY PRESCHOOL
Concord Community Preschool will primarily follow the guidelines established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education except when they are superseded by more rigorous standards required by Concord Church.